Monday, October 6, 2008

El Cheapo Extension Tubes: A $10 Hong Kong Experiment - Part I

I've always been fascinated with Macro photography and unfortunately due to time constraints (I'm a full time accountant) I have been limited to my Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro lens for all my close encountered needs. For the 2 (maybe 3) people who have read the previous entries of this blog you'll know that I recently stumbled across a (1 of 1,500k made) Nikon 50mm f1.8 Series E lens in amazing shape for a measly 30 bucks. Now it got me thinking as to how I can use this $30 purchase and come up with one of the cheapest macro setups ever and that's when I stumbled across a $5 set of macro extension tubes from Hong Kong on eBay. Now I'm 100% certain these are probably the biggest pieces of crap ever made but for the sake of experimentation I bought them (free shipping helped). Hopefully they arrive soon so I can bless the internet gods with some ultra budgeted cheapo macro photography. Stay tuned.

Edit: And now as of 10:56pm eastern time we'll also be testing out a 52mm to 52mm coupler reverse ring adapter as well for a grand total of $6.24. I'll use the Nikkor 50mm f1.8D on the body and the 50mm f1.8 Series E reversed. So I guess this experiment should now be called the $16.24 Hong Kong...............I'll stick with $10.

No comments: